System Messages

This forum is for members of the Apiary Investment Fund. To learn more about how to get involved, sign up now or fill out the form below and preview the training right now!

Introduction to computers for beginners 101

Back to Forums

kennethacquistapace

Introduction to computers for beginners 101

I have never owned a computer.They were not around when I was growing up.I have just recently purchased a Apple I phone 7+.I probably don’t use most of what it can do,I use it as a phone.I am 65 years old and I know I have to learn how to use the current technology. I will need help setting up a computer and learning how to use it.There, I have admitted to my lack of knowledge,but I know I can learn. Any info concerning setting up and operating a computer would be very appreciated. Thank you,Kenneth

Tue, 11/13/2018 - 12:54am

chancellorsmail

A standard computer comes with 4 Ram. I would suggest you increase that . The maximum is 12. I would add say 8 more.

Rookie

Who said the max is 12? not in my PC.

TraderHewitt

Not a single word of that is true, for PC at any rate.

I have a 16GB in a "old" i5 as my trading computer.
Certain motherboards etc are might be limited, but with 64-bit now being standard the sky is the limit.

Honestly, the computing power for running a basic trading platform is actually not very much. I reckon for Alveo will chew more than MT4 though, the bs artists will try sell you up, but I reckon any old machine will do.

Actually I do agree, 4GB will probably be fine for running Alveo, but Windows is a huge resource hog, so I would go with 8GB RAM as well. I can't imagine RAM is expensive in the US, computers in general are pretty cheap there I think.

I have 16GB in my trading rig, and run MT4, Ninatrader (with footprint indidators) , Jigsaw and Chrome on an old core-i5 and it doesn't even break a sweat. I reckon I would get away with 8GB even doing all that.

If you have spare cash though, always go for more RAM. The more the merrier.

SSD drives are super fast, and a wonderful toy, but again, you don't need it.

For me the most important thing is screen/monitor. The more you can see, the better. I bought a second-hand desktop for my trading, as I wanted t have more than one monitor (I have 3 right now).

In some ways I regret this, as I cannot move my trading station, not that one will trade from the beach or some crap like that, but when power/internet goes out, I'd like to have the option of moving somewhere that's not out (plus a laptop will run for another couple of hours till in comes back on), but I wanted that multi monitor support.

Looking at laptops now, I see they have vga and hdmi etc on some, so they may support more than one external monitor, but this I cannot say for sure.

Personally, I would go for a basic laptop, try to get 8GB ram if possible (I bought my work laptop from a local supplier so could customize what I needed), DO NOT get Celeron if they still sell them in US, the performance drop is not worth the saving.

You don't need an SSD drive, and don't need a huge disk. a few hundred GB will be fine, but its unlikely you can get disks smaller than 500GB out the box nowadays.

Win10 Home is fine, I have that on all my systems and have no issues.

Get a external monitor, 22inch+, you wont regret it.

edb

Couple of ideas:
(1) "Senior-Center" (meeting and socializing center for retired folks -- like us), Libraries, and Churches often have computer-classes. Good place to meet people and gain local technical help.
(2) Ask your children to help you select a computer -- so that the grandkids have a way to play computer/video games when their parent need a babysitter. Maybe your kids or relatives have a usable second-hand computer.
(3) Ask questions and watch demonstrations at local computer stores.

Just tell them it's for grandkids homework and video-games. High-performance video-games require a high-performance computer.
... which reminds me, I need to do that, too. My grandkids are hinting that my 15 year-old computer and LCD monitor won't let them play a few of their favorite computer/video-games.