System Messages

This forum is for members of the Apiary Investment Fund. To learn more about how to get involved, sign up now or fill out the form below and preview the training right now!

Windows Server 2012?

Back to Forums

marcilgen

Windows Server 2012?

Hi All
I just joined the Apiary Fund and am looking to set up Alveo on a 3rd party VPS. Most VPS providers run either Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2012. Will the Alveo platform run on either of these? Neither is listed in the minimum requirements for the software. Is one of there better or preferred to the other?

Sat, 06/02/2018 - 12:09am

marcilgen

So I did a bit more research and it seems that Windows Server 2012 is the server version of Windows 8 (which is a horrible OS), and Windows Server 2008 is a server version of Windows Vista (which I like because it is fairly simple and intuitive, but is fairly old). FOr traders who run on VPS machines, do you prefer Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2012?

Orock

https://apiaryfund.com/software/vps

also you can call support 801 701 1650

hope it helps

Is VPS an ISP service or does it replace my ISP?
No, our VPS machines are Windows machines that exist independent of your computer and your ISP. You use your ISP to access the VPS much like using a browser to access websites on the Internet. The VPS has it's own Internet connection that is not restricted by any firewalls you may have at work or at home.

my bad,
I see with your abilities you will get to the root really fast.

keep up the good work

chaffcombe17

I run Alveo on a dedicated server running Windows Server 2008 R2. No problems at all.

marcilgen

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will indeed run Windows Server 2008 R2.

I was confused because I do my day job on Linux boxes or my MacBook rather than on Windows, so I haven't kept up much with the Windows OS side of things. But now I get it.

I think I will take advantage of Google Cloud Platform's $300 credit offer so that I can get a Win VPS cloud instance basically for free for the first 10-12 months. Even after that, the cost is probably around $30-$35/mo for a mid-level VM. Like Amazon AWS, this service has cloud-based controls to restart the machine, rather than having to call support and hope someone answers like in other VPS services. The Apiary VPS seems pretty pricey for what you get - it might be worth it at the $24 intro price, but (at least to me) doesn't make sense at $54/month.

j01375

I know this is an older thread, but Windows 2008 (R2 or not) is too old and has been out of main line support for years. It will be out of extended support next summer. If your VPS provider is still offering it, they will most likely make you upgrade soon, so go for the newest OS you can get.....